Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Friday, March 9, 2012

So Close!

Howdy!

I've had a lot of questions about my trip, so I thought I'd take some time to explain what exactly I've been up to these past few months. I have been taking 15 hours (5 classes) that were condensed into a very short, fast-paced semester. These classes were taught by the three professors that will be accompanying me to Italy. I only had class once a day, but that day was an absolute marathon. I spent 12 hours on campus. Ugh! I'm so glad those days are behind me! I also got a job working at a preschool, which I absolutely loved. I even changed my very first diaper! (It was about time!) I miss the kids already, but I plan on working there over the summer.

Now, back to Italy. What exactly will I be doing abroad? I'm SO glad you asked! I, along with 23 other education majors, will be teaching English at an Italian middle school. So I won't be studying abroad so much as I will be teaching abroad. The 24 of us will be teaching English lessons, tutoring students for an upcoming exam and holding play rehearsals for The Wizard of Oz, which we will be putting on before we leave Italy. It's going to be a crazy couple of months, but I absolutely cannot wait. The girls (and guy... poor Stephen) that I am traveling with are some of the coolest people that I've had the pleasure to get to know, and I can't wait to see where the next couple of months will take us!

On Sunday evening, I will leave the country and head to Italy. For the first week of our travels, we will tour Rome, Florence and Arezzo. Then, we will set down our roots at the Santa Chiara study center in Castiglion Fiorentino, a small town in Tuscany.

I'm spending my next to last night in the US in Dallas, where I'm saying my farewells to my parents and my dogs. Tomorrow will be a whirlwind of last minute shopping, packing and friend-visiting, and then on Sunday I'm catching a ride from my incredible boyfriend to Houston. And then I'm off! I still can't believe that I'll be on a plane on less than 48 hours... but it's the truth! Ready or not, here I go!!

Ciao y'all!

1 comment:

Gary08 said...

Florence is amazing, i absolutely loved the city. while your there if you have time i highly suggest doing 3 things. 1) ride the carousel that i'm riding in one of my profile pictures. 2) there's a liquor store near Saint Croce Square called Italian Loves. So the bottle of the orange liquor i have at my house came from that store. Its Melloncello, which ItalianLoves take on the traditional lemoncello drink. you should go and try some there so you can see what has been in that bottle all this time (also if you want to pick me up another one i would love you forever!!). 3) my aunt knows this guy who owns a very famous restaurant in Florence. i dont remember the name of it, but i'll try and get it to you. they have a really famous dish thats won a bunch of international awards and has been all over t.v. Its basically a citrus (orange flavored) pasta and its amazing to say the least. you should go and check it out!! other than that have an amazing time!!

Post a Comment