Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

When in Rome!

Hey guys!
Today was the first day living the bella vita, or the good life. And man oh man is life good! This morning, we had the traditional European breakfast of rolls and crossoints and every carb you can imagine smothered in Nutella. SO YUMMY. Then, we were off for the day!

We started our day with a quick walk to check out the Coloseum and the Forum. Despite the fact that I've alreasee even there, the sites were just as breathtaking as they were the very first time I laid eyes on them. One of the girls on our trip was sick to her stomach in the middle of the tour, but fortunately she was well enough to stick with us for the rest of the day. (If you know me at all, you know that just the thought of vomit makes me want to cry. But I was totally fine! It helps that I adore the girl was sick, so I truly sympathized with her!)

Once we moved on from that excitement, we saw the Tomb of the Unnown Soldier. While I had been there before, I never realized that there were guards that protected the tomb all day long, just as if the tomb contained a high priest. The gesture alone was so kind that it made me tear up. Then, visited a church that was built in the mid-1400s. It just blows my mind that the church (below) predates the country that I call home.

Then we took a trip to see the Trevi Fountain. So. Incredible. Made a wish and I hope it comes true!! Then I checked out the Spanish Steps and learned that they're called that because they lead to the Spanish Emissary. I felt ridiculous for not realizing that beforehand! After a quick stroll, we finally made it to lunch. Our first appetizer was bruschetta. Yum. Then, we were given a plate of mini bread rolls and various dipping sauces to try. Once again, I tried to be brave. Bad decision. I ended up dipping my bread into tuna. YUCK! At least I know I still hate seafood! We were then brought out some of the best pizza of my life. I got funghi (mushroom!) and it was delicious! Then we had fried chocolate balls for dessert. I'm drooling just recounting this.

After that, we headed to the Vatican. I'll eventually put up pictures on Facebook, but for now I'll give you the hilights. I learned the reason the Pieta is the only sculpture in St. Bascilica to be behind glass; some lunatic took a hammer to the Pieta 23 times. Also, I learned that it is the only piece that Michelangelo signed. Our tour guide at the Vatican was Carlo. Not only was he highly knowledgable about everything Roman, but he also was a UT grad! And highly attractive to boot. It really made the Varican THAT much more interesting ;) But truthfully, it was amazing going back and seeing everything a second time around; I felt like I got a lot more out of the tour!

If you went to Europe with me a few years ago, do you remember the gelato shop that Nettah took us to? The one with over 100 favors? Well, I was there today!!! And MAN was it good to be back. Some of the best gelato in the world. Hands down. I ate stracciotella (basicially chocolate chunk) and roche (chocolate deliciousness). Then we checked out the Pantheon and headed to the same restaurant that we ate at last night. Dinner consisted of pasta in Alfredo sauce, green beans, turkey and fruit and ice cream for dessert. I could get used to this!

Sorry for the ridiculously long post, but this will be my last post for a few days. I'll be heading to La Pivuccia tomorrow, which seems like it'll be a relaxing vacation spot where we'll work on lesson plans and the like. All that means to you is that you won't get to check out my blog because I'll have no Internet access. Sad!

Hope all is well back home. Miss you all, but I'm already having a blast!

Ciao y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment