Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Fun in Florence

Ciao!
Saturday we left La Pievuccia (which, I think I failed to mention, is an aggiturismo, a vineyard, a hotel and a gourmet restaurant all in one) and headed to Hotel Park, a small hotel just a half hour walk away from Castiglion Fiorentino. Then, we hopped onto a train to Florence. One hour later, we arrived ready to see the town!

Oh, Florence. It's definitely my favorite city that I've seen in Italy, and possibly takes the cake for favorite European city as well. It's just incredible. The people, the food, the architecture... it's all just so wonderful. We spent our afternoon touring the sights with our tour guide, Laura, who was extremely knowledgable albeit slightly dry. Once lunchtime arrived, we were more than happy to take a mental breather.

Then, we had the best meal that I've had in my entire life. So good that it deserves its own paragraph. We started with really great 'crusty' bread and some glorious red wine. Then, we were given a plate of pasta. We had some rigatoni with a light pomodoro sauce with a side of ravioli. Then came the second course. I was slightly suspicious about what appeared to be mystery meat, but one my fork hit my mouth I was in tastebud heaven. Oh. My. Lord. Boneless chicken breast smothered in Alfredo and some kind of delicious melty cheese. Then, dessert came out. Vanilla ice cream with some seriously kick ass hot fudge. What more could a girl ask for?

Okay, so I might've enjoyed the food a little too much... But when in Florence, eat as a piggy American!! After lunch was a completely free afternoon which Becca, Kelsey, Kirsten, Tess, Ashleigh and Emily filled with what girls do best... shopping! We spent hours scouring the Santa Maria Maggorio and ended up buying too many scarves, bracelets and pieces of artwork. But we're all happy with our purchases, so that's all that matters!

Then we came back to the hotel to eat a mediocre dinner (by Italian standards) and crash. We got to sleep in, and then we got a chance to tour Castiglion Fiorentino. The city is incredible, ancient, hilly and perfect. I can't wait to call it home! I spent the rest of the afternoon reading on a patio with Kirsten and Becca (and a pesky cat), which was perfectly relaxing.

Now, I'm uploading some pictures to Facebook. Be sure to check those out! Tomorrow I will teach my very first Italian students. SO EXCITING!!!

Ciao y'all!

2 comments:

Italian Aggie said...

We ate at the same restaurant first time in florence...so good! Excited to see you in a week!

joycefre said...

Hmmmm food, shopping, more food.
Do I sense a trend?

I love your pics and, even more, the fact that you look happy and relaxed!
Ciao Bella!

Post a Comment