Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Monday, March 19, 2012

First Day of School!

So let me start off this massive entry with a brief recap of my day. Today was my first day of teaching. We were at the local middle school, Dante, from 8:25-1:25. After a quick break for lunch, we had a viewing of the Wizard of Oz since we will be performing the musical (along with the students) in a few weeks. To round out our day, we had one-on-one tutoring with eighth graders for an upcoming exam (the Trinity Exam).

As far as teaching went, all I have to say is PHEW. I'm glad "Day One" is over. My first class was wonderful. The kids were excited but attentive and I fed off their energy BIG time! Ty and I taught them about some major American cities, and they really seemed to enjoy the lesson. My second class... Not so much. While the students were really fun, they were... A handful. I ended up having to teach the entire class, which would've been fine if they understood English. But they didn't. Soo it ended up to be a little rough. One kid who was held back a few years refused to do anything except write "Beautiful Blonde" on a piece of paper and hold it up. The rest of the class didn't understand the lesson at all. The good news? If I can handle this class, I can handle anything!

From here on out, it should be a piece of cake. Right?! Gotta look on the bright side here!

Oh... And as a side note, I have to talk about the Italian language. I. Am. Obsessed. Even though I only know a handful of words, they are the most beautiful words I've ever spoken. There's such a perfect rhythm to it. I can't get over it. The biggest compliment I've received so far is being mistaken for a local and having them spout off a sentence or two. I feel terrible for not being able to understand, but I feel pretty cool for about 5 seconds!

Okay, I think that's all for now. Thanks for keeping up with me! I miss life in the US but I'm having a great time. Let me know if you need a souvenir (or two!).

Ciao y'all!

2 comments:

Will said...

Looks like you are having a great time! I am so glad that you are having fun teaching (even if its not as easy as home). Also I would like to say that I agree with the kid who was held back a few years! (bella bionda) Hope you don't miss us to much and if you do always remember "si guarda meglio con le luci spente"

xoxo

joycefre said...

Abby,
I love you and miss you, but enjoy seeing you have such a good time. Good luck teaching...and remember that even in the worst classrooms, the bell eventually does ring.

Post a Comment